It’s been said that writing your book is only 10% of the battle while the remaining 90% is promoting it. If you have written a book and self published it, but don’t have a strategy to get your book noticed, then this post is specifically for you. I will be cover strategies and tactics for promoting your book on Amazon.
Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Select
I won’t spend much time on this part, but some may not know about the Kindle Direct Publishing Select program. The KDP Select program is Amazon’s plan for growing their lending library, so that Kindle owners, who are also Amazon Prime members can download books at no charge. If you agree to enroll in their program you will get paid a split of a pool that KDP has every month based on some fancy calculator work.
Here is where it gets good!
In exchange for giving your book away for free, you will also get 5 promotional days to sell your book on Amazon for free, every 90 days. You must agree to not sell your book anywhere else (including your website), during the contract period.
Why would I give my book away for free?
If you do well in the free promotional days, your book will rise up in the free rankings. If you do well in the free rankings, it will also rise up in the paid rankings. Therefore your book becomes more visible to people searching for books to read on Amazon. You get your name out there, and you can build your email list at the same time. I have used this strategy to sell my book, and I have almost doubled my email list.
I have not only used this strategy for myself to give away almost 10,000 copies of my book, but I have shared it with some other fairly unknown authors like Ryan Brewer. Ryan gave away 2,600 copies of his book in one day! While I can’t promise huge revenues from your book, I can tell you I have made $60 to $200 dollars per month for several months.
How To Promote Your Book
You’ll find some good nuggets in this video to get your book noticed and promote what you are doing beyond your book. There are many groups online, such as this DIY e-Publishing group, that you should check it out.
What’s your best idea for promoting a book?
Tony Elam is the best Dad in the world, voted #1 three years in a row by his two daughters. He shares online strategies to help you work in your business not on it. Connect with Tony on Twitter @findingforward.